Translating Ideas into Words
- The story / article deals with / is concerned with / describes /
examines / reveals / exposes / dwells on / explains / addresses /
discusses / presents / covers / outlines / states / offers / considers /
looks into / treats
- The story is set in ...
- The scene is laid in ...
- The story is written in a form of... (the author's recollections,
the dialogue, narration, autobiography)
- The action takes place in ...
- The plot of the story centres round ...
- The plot of the story is complicated (intricate, tangled up, trite,
- The issues/problems of... are the concern of this article.
- This problem is the subject of the article.
- The problems addressed in the article are acute / urgent / vital /
- The main idea/message of the story is ...
- The moral of the story is ...
- The central conflict of the story is ...
- The story has a deep emotional/intellectual appeal.
- The story deals with the burning problems of life: politics,
economics, education, marriage, and so on.
- This story is realistic in style, cordial in comedy, sympathetic in
- The story is marked with pessimism/optimism.
- The story is a remarkable insight into human character.
- The story reveals human virtues and vices.
- The story shows the author's concern with the moral principles.
- The story has a(n)interesting / entertaining / exciting / gripping
/ amusing / enjoyable / funny / witty / banal / skillfully developed /
slow-moving / fast-moving plot.
- The author reveals the nature of his characters through (actions,
details, dialogues, etc.)...
- The author gives a comprehensive and vivid picture of...
- The author shows (presents) complex / complicated / simple /
imaginary / realistic / (un)convincing / superficial / flat / round /
well(badly) portrayed characters.
- The author seems to be the spokesman of the spirit of time.
- The author is focused on human feelings and relationships, actions
- The author explores the complexity of human character/ smb's inner
- The author's attention is focused on ...
- The author portrays /depicts a man in close cooperation with
- In his story the author turns to the conflicts of contemporary
- The author's strong point lies in a vivid description of the
beliefs, customs, manners, costumes, language of the epoch plus the energy
and movement which his story displays.
- The author's sympathy lies with ...
- The author is known for a deep psychological analysis of his heroes
and a very thoughtful attitude to the burning political and social
problems of the day.
- There is not a character in the story that is not worth studying,
nor a scene that is not life-like, not a reflection that has not a deep
- He is the only character worthy of the author's positive estimate.
- She is an embodiment of beauty.
- The compositional arrangement of the text (stylistic devices) help
to bring the idea out (to create tense atmosphere, to show the real state
- The author resorts to high-flown phrases/expressions to show ...
- The enumeration shows the author's striving for an exhaustive and
fully detailed presentation of the phenomenon dealt with.
- The choice of vocabulary and stylistic devices is admirable.
- The following stylistic devices contribute to the expressiveness of
- The author makes extensive use of ... to render the story more
vivid, convincing, more real and emotional.
- All the descriptive attributes used in the passage serve to convey
to the reader ...
- An additional humorous effect is produced by ...
- The description of ...is contrasted to that of...